What if your guilty pleasure didn’t have to feel so guilty? With its protein, vitamins, minerals, fiber and phytonutrients, this pizza runs circles around the everyday variety. You’ll love the fantastic, gluten-free crust, topped with veggies, Parmesan and Italian herb toppings. Make it for dinner tonight.
1/4 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
3/4 cup chickpea flour
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 zucchini, thinly sliced into rounds
1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced into rounds
1/2 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced into rounds
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
1 tablespoon fresh oregano or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- In a food processor, pulse the cauliflower until very finely chopped. Measure 1/2 cup and put into a medium bowl.
- Add the chickpea flour and salt. Stir in 3/4 cup of water, and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 450°F. In a 9- or 10-inch ovenproof skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat.
- Pour in the batter and let cook until the underside is golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip the crust and remove from the heat.
- Top with the zucchini, red bell pepper and yellow bell pepper, drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, and sprinkle with the Parmesan.
- Bake until the vegetables are tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle with the oregano and red pepper flakes, slice, and serve.
Yield: 2 servings
Total fat 18.5g
Saturated fat 3.5g
Dietary fiber 7.3g
Added sugar 0g
—Recipe developed by Sara Quessenberry for Cleveland Clinic Wellness